Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Home - What Does It Mean To You?

Here is a little gem - a song written and sung by a German woman, who wrote this song as a teenager after spending a year in the US in tenth grade upon returning home to her parents in Germany. The songs asks - "Home - What does it mean to you?"



Not everyone is lucky enough to grow up in a home that would inspire such a song, which makes life seem quite unfair. Material life is indeed unfair. The strong prey on the weak, and the violent overcome the innocent. The rich and the poor live in fear of each other. Many children in the world, by no fault of their own or their parents, wander about homeless and hungry for food , love, and warmth.

Only in the spiritual realm do we enjoy fairness, equality and abundance where everyone has the same home, the same love, the same wealth and the same life - eternal life. Fear does not exist, only love. This is our true home, available to all of us at all time. All we need is to remember. It is not something created by fantasy - an imaginary bandaid to troubled lives. It is something remembered like a shoe on your foot - something already there. It is true and accessible, and if you are ever lucky enough to meet those who know this, just looking into their eyes, they can take you there until you can find your own way.

It reminds me of a Carly Simon concert I went to in the nineties when a friend of ours was playing in her band and invited us to "hang out" with them after the show. She started the concert out with a solo A Capella song called "Home"after walking to the front to the stage, belting it out calmly and strong. It was instantly recognizable as a song to our common spiritual home and her communion with "that" as she sang it. It was very powerful, beautiful and true. And, it seemed to be instantly forgotten by everyone as the band started to play all the familiar favorites, right after her sacred and almost private moment of communion.

In that Home - we are all one. After the concert when we physically met, Carly Simon was convinced she knew me well, and tried hard to remember where and when we had previously met. Finally she decided it had have to have been in another life time and we left it at that. We all meet in that home every day, but we forget.

Her other song "to God" if you will, is "I haven't got time for the pain" - "not since I've known you" which many mistake for a song about a new lover, instead. If you ever want to feel free - that is a great song to listen to. Important though to think of something more lasting and grand than a new lover - or that feeling of freedom will not amount to much. Only if the divine becomes our lover, as it did for Carly and Rumi - will we find the full level of freedom and joy that is available.

I don't think Carly Simon's song Home has ever been recorded, as neither Google nor YouTube seem to be able to find it anywhere. Then again, maybe I have to check all our old CDs. I hope I find it - but until then, I have this sweet Home song with a German accent full of gratitude for her parents' home - her safe haven from a wild, wild world. We are lucky when our parents give us a good idea of what home should feel like, but even if we are not that fortunate - our heart knows and will eventually find its way there. It is our birthright.


I Haven't Got Time For The Pain


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYOL4vClXis

All those crazy nights when I cried myself to sleep
Now melodrama never makes me weep anymore
'Cause I haven't got time for the pain
I haven't got room for the pain
I haven't the need for the pain
Not since I've known you

You showed me how, how to leave myself behind
How to turn down the noise in my mind
Now I haven't got time for the pain
I haven't got room for the pain
I haven't the need for the pain
Not since I've known you

Suffering was the only thing that made me feel I was alive
Though that's just how much it cost to survive in this world
'Til you showed me how, how to fill my heart with love
How to open up and drink in all that white love
Pouring down from the heaven
I haven't got time for the pain
I haven't got room for the pain
I haven't the need for the pain
Not since I've known you

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the name of the song that Carly sang was Never Been Gone. A song about her beloved home Martha's Vineyard. A song she does sing A capella