Monday, May 12, 2008

Silly Putty Removal

A Mom for 29 years (and four years of Chemistry) I sometimes think I should know something as fundamental as removing Silly Putty from a cashmere blanket, but I don't. It's a first, and unlike 29 years ago, I now have the Internet. It is a resource I still sometimes forget I have, when I am faced with a crisis like this. It is not yet an automatic impulse for me to google away. To call a friend, maybe, or to apply macrobiotic principles of yin and yang to solve a puzzle of any chemical nature. Don't laugh - that once saved my baby's life.

The first useful site, at About.com recommended WD 40 and Rubbing Alcohol.

The second site - and what a treasure trove of cleaning product information - is alwaysbrilliant.com - which recommended the much better smelling GooGone which I will be trying first. I'll let you know if I ended up having to put stinky WD40 on my cashmere blanket. Maybe I'll use it on my son's sweat pants so he doesn't end up smelling like a giant orange, but more manly, like he just fixed something really big that required a can of WD40.

2 days later: After two more days of procrastination I was successful today rescuing my old blanket (an old cashmere blanket my mother gave me 32 years ago when I left home) Neither the WD40 nor the GooGone worked, but the rubbing alcohol!!! dissolves the putty and it just disappears. Just don't add water during the process - it makes everything gooey again.

And here is the history of Silly Putty. Silly, but true. Especially since everyone who bought it, could have made it at home -




How To Remove Silly Putty From Carpet
From About.com/Barbara Whiting,
Your Guide to Stay-at-Home Parents.

Kids love Silly Putty, but it can make a big mess on carpets. But WD-40 will quickly and easily remove this sticky mess.
Difficulty: Average
Time Required: 20 minutes
Here's How:

1. Scrape off any excess Silly Putty with a butter knife.
2. Spray with WD-40 and let sit for about 10 minutes.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 as necessary.
4. Blot with rubbing alcohol until stain is removed.

Tips:

1. WD-40 is a lubricant and cleaner found in most grocery, automotive and hardware stores.
2. Always test cleaners in inconspicuous area first.
3. Use in well-ventilated area.

What You Need:

* WD-40
* Rubbing Alcohol
* Butter Knife
* Rag

No comments: