Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thank You, Jim

My favorite veteran is Jim. Jim carries a little card in his pocket to remember all of our names at the local diner where we often run into each other for our morning coffee. He must be in his late seventies or early eighties. He arrives on his tricycle his wife makes him ride. He is handsome - with a knowing twinkle in his eyes - and you just know he was dashingly good looking in his younger years because he still has that special something about him.

His son made a video about him and his service in the Pacific during WW II. I am very fond of US veterans of WW II. Thanks to them and their friends who perished, Germany was freed from an insane dictator who the German people somehow could not dispose of themselves, even though they heroically tried several times. As a result I grew up in a wonderful country and was free to marry an American and move to the country of my dreams later in life.

So - on this Veteran's Day - Thank You, Jim, and all of your friends. When I find the little card you gave me with your website I will add it to this post.

No comments: