Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Bedtime Meditation

Every night when I put my son to bed, we meditate. We don't sit up and chant OM. After we read, talk and have that last glass of water, we lie down and are quiet. Together. Since he was little - "And now we meditate" - was my line after the bedtime rituals. It just meant - and now we are quiet - even though we are still "doing " something. He never knew what meditation really is, but knew I taught it to people.

He usually falls asleep, and I continue to meditate. The other night though, he was not tired. Still, he was happy to go to bed. As he put down his head on the pillow he sighed blissfully: "It is just the best thing to rest your head on your soft pillow, close your eyes, and just do nothing without falling asleep."

I told him that that is what meditating is. He was amazed. He thought it was something difficult because I teach it.

No comments: