Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday's MeditationMom Moment - Katrina's Flowergirl

Q: I saw a lot of horror during Hurricane Katrina. Horror of what human beings do to other human beings, because I worked in a flower store that supplied funeral homes. I can't get over it. I disdain human beings now and have lost all desire to marry and have children even though that was my dream, always. I feel like it is wrong to have such disdain for people, but I can't help it.

MM: Your mind is feeding this disdain by bringing up the memories. Why? It is because you want to see something about yourself you don't see. You are a very spiritual person. The thing your being wants you to see about yourself is your own cruelty.

We usually don't think of young girls in flower stores as cruel people. But, think about it. All those beautiful flowers. They, too have been killed in their prime, to be bundled and sold for temporary pleasure, or carelessly trampled on if they fall on the ground in the flower store. Once you see this fully, your humility will return and the world will once again look like it is filled with flowers, instead of just florists and customers.

Like I said - you are a very spiritual person to want to realize such a subtle thing about yourself. It takes an extreme situation like Katrina to point out something this hidden. Go home and grow some flowers and nurture them.

No comments: